Cookie-Dough Guest Mix 6 with Moplen
Welcome to the Cookie-Dough Guest mix where we invite some of favourite DJ / Producers to answer a few questions and dig deep into their collections and put together a mix of records that have influenced them over the years.
For this episode we have invited Italian DJ, Producer, Edit-man and Vinyl Junkie Moplen to take you on a tour of his favourite house, disco, funk and soul records.
This is defo one for the house heads!
Nice one Brother Moplen!!
A few words from Moplen
I was born in the 80’s and grew up listening to house music of the 90’s, nor my father or my mother were musicians or music lovers, so my passion for music was something that showed up by itself inside of me; the love for house music brought me to find out its roots, so I discovered disco, and later soul and funk.
Hope you enjoy these 90 mins, even though I would prefer they were 900!
1) Belizbeha: Inhibitions (Clear Horizons Remix) – A quite obscure deep house track with that voice that always hypnotizes me
2) Mike Delgado: Byrdman’s Revenge (Trigger To Love Mix) – Henry Street was and still is THE label for disco-house tracks; featured here a version by the UK act Mutiny
3) Funky Green Dogs: Reach For Me – Murk at their beginning, raw, effective and with that not-so-subtle “Moody” feel
4) Dubtribe Sound System: No Puedo Estar Despierto – This track has never left my box, an absolute floor filler
5) Two Man Sound: Que Tal America (Dimitri From Paris edit) – I love the guitar riff of this song, featured here an edit by disco wizard Dimitri
6) Jan Leslie Holmes: I’m Your Superman – Boogie at its best
7) Koxo: Step By Step – A fav Italo-Disco of mine, produced by Leopardo, considered one of the pioneers of the Italian radio DJs
8) Los Hermanos: Quetzal – A perfect example of the techno I like
9) Mood II Swing: All Night Long – Mood II Swing were among my fav house music producers in the 90’s
10) Towa Tei: Luv Connection (Masters At Work Dub) – M.A.W. were my fav producers in the 90’s and this dub sums everything I used to love about them
11) Nuyorican Soul: I’m The Black Gold Of The Sun (4 Hero Rmx) – As above…
12) D-Train: Keep On (Francois K Dub) – I always preferred the dub to the vocal version, short and effective
13) K.I.D.: Hupendi Muziki Wangu?! – This and “Don’t Stop” are both great tracks; I chose this one for its title… just kidding…
14) Metro Area: Dance Reaction – I love the mix between live elements and electronic sounds of this duo
15) JohNick: Major Sea – Johnny D and Nicky P are masters of disco samples, the way they used “Love In C Minor” for this track is unbelievable
16) Sterling Void: It’s All Right – Chicago House at its best
17) Alison Limerick: Where Love Lives (Red Zone Mix) – Finest Def Mix work
18) Hugh Masekela: Don’t Go Lose It Baby – This bassline…
19) Jean-Luc Ponty – Computer Incantations For World Peace – I only discovered this track trough the next record, that’s what I used to love about House Music
20) Those Guys: Love, Love, Love – Here Dj Spen and crew created with Maurice Fulton a little masterpiece for me, I firstly heard it in a mixed set by a very famous Italian club DJ, Ralf, and it took me a while to find out what it was back in the days
21) Joe Claussell: Je Ka Jo (Demo Version) – Joe Claussell has been my fav producer, DJ and everything else for about 15 years now; I had to finish this mix with one his tracks
What was the first record you bought that made you realise that you wanted to be a DJ / Producer?
It wasn’t a specific record, but a weekly radio show I can’t recall the name where Ralf (the famous Italian club DJ mentioned above) used to play 1 or 2 hours of mixed music: it was very inspirational and I remember I used to record it on tape every single week
What record makes you most nostalgic?
Frankie Goes To Hollywood “The Power Of Love”
What is your favourite end of the night track?
It depends on the night, but if I thought about the perfect night I would say John Miles “Music”
Do you have a guilty pleasure record?
Not yet, I mean I don’t feel guilty for any records I own for now 🙂
What is your most treasured piece of vinyl?
I’m a vinyl junkies and an avid collector of disco 12” nowadays, I have many (but not enough) rare pieces: one of my fav and most treasured surely is the Canadian 12” of Gladys Knight And The Pips “It’s A Better Than Good Time” with the Walter Gibbons mix